This recipe is adapted from my custard base recipe, and basically I just added in half black cocoa from King Arthur Flour and half of their triple cocoa blend. Feel free to use any blend of dark cocoa you have.
Dark Chocolate Custard
Write a review
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- First heat up the whole milk on the stove and slowly whisk in cocoa powder as the milk gets hot. Turn off the heat once the cocoa gets incorporated.
- Whisk the egg yolks and slowly add in the sugar.
- Once the egg yolks and sugar are combined, turn the heat back on to your cocoa and milk mixture. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream.
- Temper the cream/cocoa mixture to the egg yolks- while whisking the egg yolks, whisk in cream mixture one tablespoon at a time until about half of the cream mixture is incorporated.
- Combine both mixtures together in your pan.
- Heat pan and whisk until it gets to 175 degrees.
- Turn off your heat and put the hot pan in an ice bath to quickly cool down. Whisk, whisk, whisk some more!
- Once at room temperature, pour your custard through a sieve to sift out any clumps. You can add your vanilla extract at this time.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours before freezing in your home freezer.
- Once frozen (mine took about 20 minutes), scoop into a freezer safe container and pop into your freezer for at least 2 hours. Unless you just HAVE to eat it since its so delicious! 😉
Sweet Melissa's Ice Cream at Home http://www.sweetmelissaathome.com/